Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Wow, Okay. It has been a CRAZY month (okay, six weeks, shut up)

Here's the basic rundown:
1 - The internet at my house has been down.
2 - I STILL don't have a computer
3 - I've been running around like a crazy person



After five years, on and off, with the same office I decided it was time to try something new. So I quit...with absolutely nothing lined up.

My last day was set to be September 18th, but they managed to talk me into another four days (I'm a pushover , yes, but they paid me more). My actual final day was Thursday September 24th, which ended with an absolutely ridiculous going away party attended by current coworkers, ex-coworkers, friends, and my mother. That was followed by a day in bed (obviously), which brings us to Saturday. Here's what happened Saturday:

Setting: My childhood bedroom
Time: About 1pm
Mood: Hungover

I'm lying in bed, watching an America's Next Top Model marathon and dreaming of brunch which I suddenly cannot afford, and the phone rings:

Sarah: Hello?
Morgan: HI! Are you still unemployed?
Sarah: Well, yes. It's only been two days.
Morgan: Great! I just got a job at a cafe near my house and they need more people, can you be there at 8am tomorrow?
Sarah: Sure!

I arrived at 8am on Sunday morning, having no idea what to expect, and was immediately put to work making coffee. I don't DRINK coffee. (My former boss tried to teach me how to operate an espresso machine once and I nodded, smiled, and prayed he would never actually ask me to make him one. Which, thankfully, he did not.) I got some training, helped people out, figured out the register, and by noon I was on the schedule six days a week. Starting at six am.

As you can imagine, now that I'm coming off my third day there, I feel relatively jet-lagged. It's the best way to describe it. I'm on my feet all day talking to people face to face, so no longer is it an option to crash in my chair, zone out and hope someone else will pick up the slack should I not get enough sleep. I'm in bed before 10pm and up between 4 and 4:30 in the morning. It's BIZARRE. I'm used to coming at 4am from the other direction, so wandering around at that hour with vision that isn't bleary from drink is pretty interesting.

For the most part I'm really excited about the change. It is completely and totally different from my last job, both in description and hours, and it's pretty fun.

Things I have learned so far:

1)I'm not very good at being unemployed.

2) Getting out of work at 1pm and having the whole afternoon to do whatever I want is AWESOME.

3) Having a job that feeds and caffeinates you is a great money saver, especially when you've taken a substantial paycut.

4) The bus is the safest way to travel at 5am. Yesterday morning I missed the bus I was planning on taking and thought I would take the train instead. I turned around and started to walk to the train when I was stopped by a crackhead (no, a literal crackhead, I'm not just saying that word for fun) who wanted a cigarette. I, stupidly, gave him one and walked away. He started walking in the same direction, so I turned around and started to walk back to the bus stop. At which point he turned around and followed me. At which point I walked by ass off to the nearest 24 hour deli, which locks up and serves customers through a window between 1am and 7am, banged on the door and demanded to be let in. I got in and told the guy working the window to PLEASE give Mr. Crackhead a light. Because by that point I realized that was what he was after. But he scared the SHIT out of me. So it'll be the bus stop across the street from the police station and much closer to my house from here on out thankyouverymuch.

5) How to make espresso. I think. I don't know. The cappuccino like thing I made for Morgan this morning was good. Or so she said. Dude, I have no idea. I don't touch the stuff.

6) Our iced tea is caffeinated. I'm a little twitchy right now. Oops. ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves