Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Relatively Easy

Seth has a crazy painting deadline this week, so he asked me if I would come over and help him out with some stuff and I agreed. One of these helpful things includes cooking, so last night I made Martha's Casserole, a staple of my childhood. (It's also handy because there are lots of leftovers and you don't have to worry about cooking for a while.)

I don't know why the damn thing is so tasty. It's incredibly white-trash and simple, but people love it. And it's really really cheap.

Here's the recipe (in my mother's words):

Martha's Casserole

Boil 8 ounces of wide egg noodles. Cook a pound of hamburger until it's brown. Mix in two 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce. (Drain the hamburger first, otherwise things get a little greasy.) Mix 8 ounces of cottage cheese, 8 ounces of soft cream cheese, and about a quarter cup of sour cream, then mix in one bunch of chopped green onions (use part of the green, too, and trim off the tops and the first layer of skin). Put half the noodles in a casserole (the size I usually use, whatever the hell that is), then put the cream cheese mixture on top. Put the rest of the noodles on top of that, and then the meat mixture on top of THAT. Melt a quarter stick of butter and pour it over the top, then stick it in a 350 oven (don't forget to preheat) for 20 minutes.

Note: I learned last night that any size casserole dish will do. I got all worried because Seth didn't have the size I normally use and I was convinced that the whole thing would be screwed up. I was wrong. I also accidentally used 16 ounces of noodles rather than eight. It's still tasty. I'm eating the leftovers now. Apparently this dish allows a lot of room for error.

(I just reread the recipe and realized that the wording is a little wonky. If anyone wants a better worded version, let me know) ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves