Monday, September 08, 2008

Clogs, Stupid Tattoos and Other Things

On my train ride home this evening (after tracking down a text book that was supposed to be "incredibly easy to find because everyone has been using it for years" and only finding it in the third store I went to) I drafted a beautifully written blog entry in my head about the wonders of being in your late teens and early twenties. It was going to be all about the stupid decisions you make and how you'll never be anything like your parents and blah blah blah. Then I got into my apartment and ::poof:: it was gone. So instead you get pictures I took on my iPhone in the last few days.

You also get more bitching about clogs because HOLY SHIT...look at these:
But WAIT...it gets better!


Heels!
I mentioned the heeled clog in my first entry about them...behold.

I took these while stopping in Strawberry after tracking down the G.D. book. (Of which I got the last copy thankyouverymuch) As I continued my way through the mostly awful shoe section I came across the matching boots:


The shoe part appears to be plastic while the rest is made up of a thick sock. Why would you do this? Plastic for rain protection and sock for....? Soaking up rain? (Oh NO. I've just looked up the company, Betseyville, and they appear to be Betsey Johnson. But...but...I love Betsey Johnson. I do not, however, appear to love this particular shoe line. Take a gander. Are those not the worst things you have ever seen? Holy crap. I wear a lot of weird shit, but those are just awful.)

Right. Moving on.

The whole idea behind blogging about stupid decisions came from eyeing this on the train:
It says "Fuck Love" not "Fuck You" which is what it looks like for some reason.

Now, I'm all for tattoos. I have one myself that I am very fond of, and plan on getting at least one more. But the thing about tattoos, for me, is that if you're going to get something like this go all or nothing. Sure this is easy enough to cover up, but what happens when you're in your 40s on a company golfing trip and you keep getting asked why you're wearing long sleeves in ninety degree weather? "Well you see, when I was twenty I thought it would be a really good idea to get 'fuck' written in relatively large letters on my arm." If you're going to get "Fuck Love" get it across your knuckles. It'll fit.

I do believe tattoo acceptance is changing. They are so common among people my age that the corporate world is going to have to (and in some cases has begun to) deal with them. But at the same time, I'm not sure if there will ever be a time when having "fuck" written on your arm permanently will ever be completely okay. And on top of that, "Fuck Love"? What happens when you get married?
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves