Monday, April 21, 2008

Last Week and other things

I normally work about a 25-30 hour work week. Last week I worked 47 hours. I slept an average of six hours a night. Needless to say, I was exhausted, stressed out and fed up by the end of it. On top of that things that I would rather not blog, talk, or think about were (and are) going on. I'm a bit of a mess right now.

I don't want this blog to be all, "Wah wah wah, woe is me," but I also don't want to keep anyone out of the loop. So yeah, I'm a little stressed out right now, and a little worked up and probably acting like a bit of an ass. And it sucks, because I want to be in a place where everything is hunky-dorie and sweet. I want to not worry about money or school or, well, anything.

I think what I really need is an effing vacation. I used to have a habit of getting out of New York for at least a month a year. In 2004 I went to the west coast for two months. In 2005 I spent a month in Europe. In 2006 I spent a month in Pennsylvania. (Anything to get out of the rat race, you know? It doesn't have to be too far away.) Since then I haven't had more than a weekend away. Hell, I think a week somewhere else would do me some good. I feel boxed in and crazed. What I really want to do is go to my grandmother's house in France for a week or so. A dream I hope to realize this summer.

My grandmother lives in a tiny fishing village half an hour outside of Geneva, right on the lake. There is nothing to do there except read, hike, eat, read, eat, and walk. And then you read and eat some more. And sometimes you even go swimming. In the lake! It is really the most relaxing place in the world because if you don't want to do anything, you don't have to. When visiting most foreign places you feel the need to see the sights and imbibe the local culture. When you're at my grandmother's you are perfectly free to hang out inside, have a few beers and enjoy whatever book you have found in the nearest book shelf (there are about seventy-five at last count). That is the kind of vacation I need. Where I'm not stressed out about what I'm missing out on and instead just enjoying not having to do anything. No social obligations (except for going to say a quick hello to the various people I know in the village), no guided tours, no anything. Just eating and sleeping and maybe hopping in an inflatable kayak.

/End whining. ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves