Wednesday, July 02, 2008

ESL

I have a coworker who, though his English is close to perfect, makes it very obvious that English is not his first language. In fact, dude speaks in what we've come to refer to as his own language.

This is my favorite example:

He never calls a pig a pig. They are always "porks." The first time we heard him say this was a couple of weeks ago when he said, "I'll be right back, I have to go heat up my porks." Which caused us all to fall into giggles. Then today, when trying to say that someone looked like a pig, what came out was "he looked just like a little porks!" So now all of us have taken to referring to our ham type food in the plural.

Actually, the Tigerlily has an amaaaaaaaazing recipe for porks...it involves a lot of onion and sage and NOM NOM NOM. ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves