Saturday, February 02, 2008

Party in my tummy

So Party In My Tummy got me thinking:
When I was a kid eating vegetables was not an issue. They were just part of a meal and you ate them just like you would eat mashed potatoes. My parents never danced around the issue, there was no forcing me to eat them, and they never witheld dessert. I don't understand why vegetables are such an issue for parents.

I was, and still am, a fussy eater. I will eat snails and squid with the greatest of ease, but I cry at the site of pine nuts. I will gobble down mussels and brussel sprouts and spinach; eggplant makes me sick. I have texture issues, but not food issues. I will try everything, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that my parents very clearly said, "You can't say 'NO' until you've tried it." So I tried everything...then I whined.

You're only allowed to cry until you've tried something.

This goes for everything. You can't say, "I hate Harry Potter" unless you've read (or at least tried) one of the books. You can't say, "Yoga sucks" unless you've done it.

We live in a world now where everything (from ice fishing to skydiving) is a click away. You're not allowed to say "NO" unless you've tasted, or (for some things) seriously considered tasting. It's too big of a world. You can't close yourself off to anything. ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves