Monday, March 03, 2008

I Love The Museum

This is actually an entry I wrote yesterday, but in the middle of posting my internet connection went ::kablooey::, so here it is now instead. Enjoy.

I love the Brooklyn Museum. It was there that I saw Sensation, saw a huge exhibition of Ron Mueck's work, studied African and Eastern Art in high school, doodled boys names in my notebooks, got cursed to have cramps by an crazy old lady, and had my high school graduation. I have spent so many hours at that place and I still love it love it love it. It changes and they do renovations and bring in new works and I get lost lost lost. (I love getting lost in museums, it's part of the reason I insist on going back to the Met on a semi-regular basis.)


Today Seth, his friend Josh and I all went to the Brooklyn Museum to see the photographs of Coney Island they have up through April 6th and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I think of Coney Island as this sort of magical iconic place, (they have rides and games and lights and fireworks every Friday night!) but the exhibit was tucked away in the corner of a back room. At the Brooklyn Museum! On top of that the exhibit was tiny, only about 60 small shots. The pictures were great, and I advise everyone to go check them out, but don't go expecting a huge show. You will be bummed. I know I was.



We also saw a piece that I've seen before (though I can't for the life of me remember where) called "The Dinner Party" by Judy Chicago. It's a huge form feminist piece that is pretty interesting once you get past the "OH MY GOD THIS ENTIRE ROOM IS FULL OF VAGINAS" thing. There is a lot that is reminiscent of Georgia O'Keefe, who I think sucks, but all in all it's great. In a room adjacent to the table there is a video playing that explains the process of it's creation. The whole thing took a number of years and ended up including collaborations with hundreds of other people including Chicago herself. Again, go check it out if you have a chance to pop down to Brooklyn.


Basically, the whole point of this post is that I love the Brooklyn Museum. I did an internship there in my junior year of high school teaching 6th graders about Egyptian Art (they have an AMAZING Egyptian collection) and in my senior year of high school I participated in the Student Guide Program. Going there today made me realize that, "Hey. I'm still a student. I can totally do this again!" So I'm going to. Every Saturday morning come September I will be down at the Brooklyn Museum wandering around, talking about art and enjoying myself. I can't wait! Oh, and if nothing has changed in the last six years or so, this program also means the following things:

1) I get show catalog's.

2) I get into special exhibitions for free.

3) I get a Brooklyn Museum ID.

Do you know what a Brooklyn Museum ID entitles you to? Getting in to any of the museums in the city for free, usually with a guest (or FOUR!) as well.

Oh yes...this is something I need back in my life.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves