Monday, March 31, 2008

A Weekend Away and Various Other things

If, like me, you are too broke to fly or take the train to major cities on the East coast, then you have to rely on buses. I would love to take the Train absolutely everywhere, but train tickets tend to start around the $100 mark, while buses start at about ten. So there we are.
I have now taken the Chinatown bus to Philly, to Boston and to Washington, DC. Here is a rundown:

The Boston <---> NYC Chinatown bus is lovely. It's cheaper than Greyhound, gets you there faster, and I have never once had to share a seat with a woman and her child who have been on the bus since somewhere in California. On top of everything else, it now drops you off exactly where the Greyhound does. It's a win win situation.

The Philadelphia <---> NYC Chinatown bus is kind of...meh. It's relatively quick (after all Philly is only about 2 hours away), but the smell. Holy GOD the smell. The bathroom reeks, people bring on all different kinds of stinky food and it smells awful. Other than that, no complaints.

But holy shit. The DC <---> NYC Chinatown bus is mindblowingly terrible. This is a trip that should take 5 hours at most. But noooo...both going down and coming back up this weekend I was on a bus for well over six hours. Man that sucks. The particular company I was using, Tony, seems to do everything in their power to get their buses full. So on the NYC side there are three stops to pick people up, and on the DC side there are at least two, plus a stop in Baltimore, plus pulling over to pick a random person up on the side of the road. I am not joking. So while I plan on going back to DC in the not too distant future, I do not plan on using that bus company ever again. Ever. Holy God. Oh, and it was the only bus out of the three that made me actually fear for my life. I thought on more than one occasion that we were going to roll over and die. Effing awful.

Other than the horrible bus rides, my weekend was spectacular. I got closer to my family. Confirmed my fears about a thirteen year old girl, and got free sushi. Pretty sweet, huh? Crap she's tall. And redheaded. And such a teenager. Sc-a-ry.

In other news it was the first time in a long long time that more than half of the eleven grandchildren were together in one place. So that's...something. Right?

In other other news: I got my first anonymous comment! And it's MEAN. Which means that strangers (or perhaps just people who hate me) are reading the blog. Yay! Please see my last post (Guess what! I still hate clogs. and Crocs) to view the comment. Aren't people just the nicest?

So thank you, anonymous poster. Please feel free to stop by anytime. Kisses! ♦DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves